Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Suspect iPhone 5 Engineeering


My daughter told me that her iPhone 5 battery doesn't hold a charge for very long anymore.  That's not surprising, as she's had this for two years.  She's a very bright, active high schooler, often out and about with practice, events and friends, and my wife and I don't want her walking around with a dead phone.

So I gave her a portable external battery, but she doesn't seem inclined to use it.  Instead I thought to order her a fresh battery.  I was about to order one on Amazon, when I decided first to check the battery in her phone.  I looked at the device, and asked her, "How do you get the battery out?"  "I don't know."  I looked it again, and couldn't figure it out quickly.  So I searched for a how-to video:

   
My first reaction was Are you kidding me?  I watched the entire bloody video, because I was in awe at how cumbersome and ridiculous it was just to open access to the battery.  I decided it was far more convenient for my daughter to work with that portable battery I gave her.

This fiasco of an engineering design aside, she has also had problems with her charger cord.  After the third breakdown, I bought two cords to make sure she could charge her iPhone 5 whenever she needed to.

I see that CEO Tim Cook has things under control over there in the fruit aisle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment