Wednesday, October 9, 2013

That's Pinsanity!


Early last year I wrote four articles on Pinterest, because I had heard that women in particular gravitated to it and I was curious about what they liked about it.  I liked its pinboard concept, and wanted to get a grip on it, too.  This is the second.

February 26th 2012

I just commented this on Google+

On the copyright issue, another Google+ friend quickly referred to an article from Tech&Trend - Pinterest Copyright, TOS: To Agree or Not To Agree:
One of the first criticisms came from the Boston Business Journal, which temporarily used Pinterest to pin renderings of startup workplaces created by architects. 
Galen Moore, Web editor at BBJ, decided to pull its pin boards down because Pinterest’s terms of service gives it the right to sell any image that a user uploads; In other words, by uploading a photo, a Pinterest user is assumed to waive full copyright ownership of that material.
I read what Tech&Trend posted from Pinterest’s Terms of Service, and while it’s convoluted legalese, my understanding of this language was consistent with Galen Moore's.

Obviously, a major concern for copyright owners.

I had heard, too, that Pinterest allows any site to prevent its original content from being ‘pinned.’  How cumbersome is that!

Anyway, I was about to request an invitation to Pinterest, and set up a profile. After a week or so, with having my interest piqued, I was close to doing this. But now, to be honest, I am hesitant. I will hold off for the time being, and see how these issues play out.

To be sure, I am not willing surrender copyright to my Intellectual Property.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment