Monday, October 14, 2013

Not Pinterested


Early last year I wrote four articles on Pinterest, because I had heard that women in particular gravitated to it and I was curious about what they liked about it. I liked its pinboard concept, and wanted to get a grip on it, too. This is the fourth.

March 14th 2012

Dr. Ron Art is one of four conglomerates I’m creating, and it houses specifically the following sections:
  1. Poetry in Multimedia
  2. Shakespeare Talks!
  3. Dramatis Personae
  4. Art Intersections 
  5. T'ai Chi Empower
To start with, I launched a page on Facebook a few months ago, and it may very well evoke a wide range of reactions, from excitement and inspiration (I hope) to confusion and dismissal (I hope not).

I believe very strongly that art is more than just paintings or sculptures and that, instead, it encompasses any and all creative human endeavors, including those of the visual, musical, dance, dramatic, literary, even martial arts genres. More importantly, I believe in the power of art to affect our lives in very real, very positive ways.

To this end, I thought about opening a profile on Pinterest, as its pin board concept is more aligned with how I want to present Dr. Ron Art. That is, I’d like all sections visible on its home page, specifically recent and highlighted posts to each section, all there in a vibrant collage of the arts. This kind of collage is the essence of Dr. Ron Art, as it aspires to bring different artists together in an exploration and synergy of their respective arts, as they choose. While the new Facebook Timeline is better, as far as this goes, I’m still not happy with it.

(image credit)
But alas I’ve decided not to open a profile on Pinterest at all. 

Here’s the latest from Econsultancy on the copyright concerns that I’ve been blogging about - Is Pinterest a copyright time bomb?  There is something fundamentally wrong with encouraging something, for example, posting freely from the internet to Pinterest, which makes members 100% liable to a lawsuit. 

Instead, I will have my own website created, which accommodates how I want to present Dr. Ron Art.

So besides my decision, I just don’t see how Pinterest can go on without drastic corrections to its Terms of Service. Yes, as Econsultancy points out, the majority of its members probably have not read, and will not read, these legalities. But at some point they will know. That’s how social media works. Communication can spread like brush fire.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment