Friday, October 18, 2013

Business and Boffo of Google


(image credit)
Google is tinkering with the ever-delicate balance between selling advertisements and creeping its users out. On Friday the company said it would begin including recommendations that Google+ users make in advertisements. The new policy kicks in on Nov. 11. 
Here’s how it works: You use Google+ to rate some product or service. It turns out the company behind that product wants to advertise on Google. When the company purchases an ad, your friends will see a version that includes your photo along with what you said about the product.
Reference: Google is Going to Include your Face in its New Ads.

Hey, friends, from now on, be sure you're smiling in photos you upload. You want to look happy and friendly, when you see yourself in Google ads.

(image credit)
Brazil is investigating Google Inc for anticompetitive practices alleged by Microsoft Corp and Brazilian rivals, adding to government pressure in one of Google's fastest-growing major  markets. 
Brazilian antitrust watchdog Cade said on Friday it is looking into accusations that Google has unfairly used rivals' content, discouraged their advertisers and favored its own product listings in search results.
Reference: Brazil Investigates Google over Antitrust Charges.

Brazil must be a major market for Google, so settling these charges is crucial for the internet giant.  In social numbers and savvy, Brazil is second only to the US in the Americas region.

(image credit)
Google is saying adios to the Google TV brand, but manufacturers will still be able to use the Android operating system within their smart television sets. 
Three years after launching Google TV, the service is going to be quietly phased out, according to GigaOm. Now that most smart television sets already have many of the services and features offered by Google TV -- which failed to excite the average consumer -- it makes sense that Google's technology will still be used in TV sets, but rebranded as "Android TV."
Reference: Google Plans to Phase out Google TV Brand: report.

Consumers didn't quite take up Google TV. So Google will quietly shift it over to Android TV.  The OS is probably what manufacturers, and perhaps consumers as well, care about.

Check my email, got an invite
To a website I don't know
Looked like googlebuzz at first sight,
But my friend said that's a no.
Why did we need, another social network?
Doesn't Facebook work alright?
A new thing for me to learn
This could take all night, Look out!
What is this google +
I don't Need google +
There's another +1 and another +1
What is this google +
Hey, Why's this red thing here?
Go away google + 
You want me to put my friends in circles
But circles are for squares
Everday's like Sophie's choice
Trying to choose which friend goes where
But No Parents, or Ex-boyfriends...
Can get in without invites
And when I drunkenly post that he's cute
I can edit it later that night - whoa 
I kinda like google +
Can't believe I'm on google +
Oh another hangout, and another hang out
I dig my google +
Hey, old high school friend
You can't join my google + 
Friends add me, without me adding them
That feature's really nice
Randos
Uglies
my pot dealer
and all these friend's I've never liked
No one knows, my circle names,
So even good friend's get handpicked
Do you make it into my main feed
or do I add you to my circle of pricks 
I'm in love with google plus
I'm judgemental on goggle +
and Another douchebag and another loser
You didn't make my google plus
Hey, Now I'm a facist pig
Thank you google plus!
The rocking strains of Another One Bites the Dust.  Two years old now, and it's still hilarious.

Shopping online is meant to be easy. Find out where your customers are "checking out" with Google Analytics.
If you're trying to buy something off a website, and it functions like this annoying clerk, walk.ah.way.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment