Friday, September 13, 2013

The Sleek, Risk and Shortfall in Apple's Latest


(image credit)
Technology meets fashion:  Burberry fashion show to be shot with iPhone 5s.  Only 8 MP, though.


Apple-Burberry teaser: A fashion video, shot entirely with the new iPhone 5s. I love the dreamy theme, but I also wonder if it was meant to "hide" the resolution limits of the videocam.


While we're at, here's more on the iPhone 5s capabilities: fingerprint identity sensor. Apple offers a more detailed video on Touch ID than we're used to see on TV ads.

Entering my username and password onto sites can be a pain in the neck, but it's even more so on my iPhone or Galaxy Tab. So I appreciate devices that remove this inconvenience, while still of course ensuring security.

(image credit)
Apple assures us (or at least tries to) that our fingerprints are encrypted, and stored in its secure A7 chip on the new iPhone 5s. But I wondered, What if the iPhone were stolen, that is, physically? What if hackers, or even the government, found a way to nab our fingerprints digitally, for example, through the carriers?

Forbes contributor Joseph Steinberg paints a risky picture behind this sleek new offering from Apple:  Your New iPhone Can Put Your Identity At Risk.

(image credit)
In a handful of new TV commercials I've seen, Microsoft goes head-to-head with Apple: It's Surface vs Siri. Have you seen them?

I'm not in the market for a new tablet, and the one I have is a Samsung Galaxy Tab. But, for me, these Surface commercials are more effective than the fast-paced ones before. In particular, the fact that Surface has a USB port, a keyboard, and Microsoft Office attracts me.

What's Apple's response to:  Microsoft’s Attempt To Lure iPad Users; Offers Minimum $200 Gift Card In Exchange Deal?


My favorite among those Surface vs Siri commercials by Microsoft.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment