Wednesday, April 9, 2014

We Love a Crowd!


My article from an old Media & Tech blog (August 30th 2011)

I confess, I am a cycling addict and a sports fanatic in general. From the thrilling Masters and US Open (golf), to the drama of the National Basketball Association (NBA) playoffs, to Wimbledon (tennis), all spring-boarding me to the Tour de France (cycling) in July. Then, August hits, and it’s like nothing, you know! Baseball is slow and boring, soccer is a bit foreign to me, American football is back after a (yawn) lockout but is in preseason (yawn) mode, and I don’t fancy small time events even in those sports above that I like.

Then, I discovered the US Pro Cycling Challenge, just finished this past Sunday. Apparently no small time event, this. The fact that the organizers managed to attract Australian Tour de France champion, Cadel Evans, and also elite cyclist from Luxembourg, Andy Schleck, prompted me to have a look. Velonews covers cycling quite well, so that’s where I go when I need a ‘fix’ for my addiction. Well, more than just prompt me to look, it grabs my attention so much that I’m reading articles on a daily basis and checking out photos.

Here’s what Brian Holcombe writes in USA Pro Cycling Challenge organizers look to build on success:
The inaugural USA Pro Cycling Challenge was a smashing success by almost all accounts – even the opinions of overall winner Levi Leipheimer (RadioShack) and race CEO Shawn Hunter — and will be back in 2012. The first-year event had many questions to answer after a sometimes rocky build-up to the prologue in Colorado Springs, and did so with gusto, attracting the largest number of fans for any cycling event in the U.S. and playing host to great racing from day one through seven.
I am an entrepreneur and a management consultant, and I love it when businesses succeed. Even more so, and more impressed, when it’s a first-time effort! I like to believe that we are all indeed connected in the world, such as economically. When an event does well, it impacts people and things within its circle for the good, and it also sends a positive ripple across the country.

What’s more, I’m intrigued by things that draw attendance and attract attention. Hunter estimates that this Cycling Challenge drew crowds over a million strong. It may have been prompted by media, new and traditional, but these crowds are a physical presence throughout the race course. It’s easy enough for us to click on a video online, and it goes viral with millions of views. But to travel, to camp out, to act crazy at the course itself … well, that’s precious!

Check out this video by USA Pro Cycling:


Unlike in many sports, cycling fans can actually get really close to the players. It’s wild and quite a raucous party, really. This in itself is a draw. Social media has made all of us hungry for engagement, involvement and connection. But again this didn’t happen in cyberspace, and instead in our old school, real world forum for participation and enjoyment.

Now that’s for the million plus who were actually there. Of course, there are scores of us who weren’t there. So how did Mr. Hunter and his staff attract the attention of someone like me, a cycling fanatic from Chicago, but now living in Dubai? Velonews has great articles and photos, but frankly lame when it comes to video coverage. I don’t have a TV subscription, as there’s too much crap on the tube.

But I do have YouTube.

Ah, YouTube was the thing that really grabbed me to this event. Usually it takes a day or more for videos on major cycling events to be uploaded on YT. Some are not official, so I have to watch as many as I can, before YouTube takes them down. But USA Pro Cycling had a quick and day-to-day upload from the race. These videos were not short news clips, but substantial five- to six-minute recaps by two of the best broadcasters in all of sports, Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin. The fact that the race organizers managed to attract these two venerable stars in their profession is also an amazing thing.

What organizers, sponsors, and performers all wish for, for a first time event, is to have a second time opportunity. Shawn Hunter, kudos to you and all of your staff, you have a 2012 event lined up. Whether or not I’m there in person, I’ll be among the hordes enjoying your event next year!

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment