Friday, April 18, 2014

First World Problems, by Scooter McGruder


My article from an old Media & Tech blog (February 14th 2012)


(1) You can't find the remote.  I can’t find my glasses, either.  I also can’t find my slippers, so my tootsies get cold in these Chicago winter days.

(2) Twitter is over capacity.  Don’t you just hate it, when Twitter doesn’t open or downloads slowly?

(8) You don't have an automatic toothbrush.  I had an electric toothbrush so long that its battery was virtually kaput.  I had to charge it constantly, and it occasionally died on me, while I was brushing my teeth.  Really annoying.  Well, I was a happy camper, when I finally bought a new one.

(18) You were forced to get Facebook Timeline.  Apparently the majority of us Facebookers don’t like the new Timeline, and soon there won’t be an opt-out, as M. Zuck is playing hard ball and making it mandatory.  Personally I like the look of it, but it doesn’t function properly.  You scroll down, and the navigation halts, skips, and sometimes jumps back to the top.  Moreover I vehemently dislike Facebook algorithms determining what ought to be kept of my posts.

(26) Bad cell phone reception.  In an industrialized, high-tech country like the US, this shouldn’t be a problem too much anymore and thankfully it isn’t for me.  But try Skyping with someone in Uzbekistan.  Try Yahoo! Messenging with someone in the Philippines.

(32) Lawnmowers wake you up.  Cute snuggly bear, dude.  Really cute.

(33) You can't hear the TV over the vacuum cleaner.  We can’t hear the TV over the dishwasher.  Life’s tough, you know.

(50) You want to text, but you keep getting greenlights.  I admit to texting while driving, but this was when I had my Samsung.  With my BlackBerry, I use two hands.  So I’d wait to be at a stoplight to text.  You know how you hate running into red lights, when you’re in a hurry.  Here it’s the opposite annoyance.  When you’re texting, the green lights come on too quickly.

(52) No parking.  Man, I think the planners and developers of the parking facilities in Abu Dhabi had brain freeze.  For a city that has grown so much and aspires to be world-class, you don’t expect to be driving around forever, just looking for a place to park.  In fact, drivers often double-park on the street median strips and in the driving lanes of parking lots.

(54) You paid $5 for coffee, and it tastes bad.  In the Middle East, a small cup of green tea is $3 – $5.  It tastes fine, but I take umbrage at the excessive charge for a low-cost item, especially when the cafe employees get a pittance of a salary.  That’s why I don’t frequent those cafes.

(70) Football season is over.  I love basketball and hockey, but sometimes these aren’t enough of a sports fix in the off season of football.

(84) Your TV can't rewind.  And don’t you hate it, when you can’t fast-forward past commercials on some news and sports videos?

(91) Low cell phone battery.  Ah, BlackBerry, iPhone, Samsung, it doesn’t matter.  We all learn to charge our cell phones on daily, even continuous basis.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment