Monday, November 11, 2013

High Tech Transforming Teaching and Learning


Ohio's 2013 teacher of the year, Carole Morbitzer, shares her five favorite technologies for engaging -- and keeping tabs on -- students in the classroom, and keeping in touch with them after school.
If I were a school-age boy, I'd love Ms. Morbitzer's tech class! Notice how students work on Apple PCs, too.

A friend commented:
She's quite right, get immediate feedback on the kids progress, don't want until a test. I'd just like her to show how she uses this with group based activities/learning (I'm sure she does) because she is awesome. I'm a relatively recent convert to Apple and my kids are excelling with the iMac. The Smartboard has definitely helped with their classroom learning. Odd because at work I've seen the return of the whiteboard for efficiency and communication amongst team members. A time and place for everything.
Archbishop Stepinac High School, in White Plains, N.Y., is one of the first schools in the U.S. to do away with paper textbooks. Instead, the all-boys prep school requires students to use tablets and laptops in class. (Data provided by Statista.com.)
I traveled across countries for consulting projects, and learned to travel light by using digital texts and manuals.

A digital dissection manual, published by a professor and students at Columbia's medical college, aims to improve the gross anatomy student experience.
Publishers of medical textbooks, themselves, must innovate, digitize and devise, or else perish.

A growing number of education experts, school districts and companies are applying what young people love about games and gaming to new tools for teaching core subjects. But do they work?
I'm not into gaming, but I'm intrigued with the potential of gaming for teaching and learning.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment