Monday, March 19, 2012

The Tripartite Model and STEM


A former general manager once called me a dilettante. He was a smart man, who had a way with words, and this was veiled but unmistakable hostility. He meant that I pursued and dabbled in different subjects, which, to him, indicated lack of serious focus.

I can admire men and women, in all fields of endeavor, dedicating their lives to a particular profession, research or art. They take a vertical approach that plunges them deeply into a subject, and they earn the right, over time, to be called experts in that area.

While there is truth to anyone describing my tact as horizontal, in contrast, it isn’t entirely true.

You see, I’m creating a Tripartite Model that forthrightly positions science, art and religion as a complete epistemology. This being a better way for us to grasp things about ourselves, our world, and our universe. This effort requires that I go both horizontally and vertically.

I graduated with a BA in psychology and a PhD in clinical psychology. I don’t mind describing myself as a psychologist, but more accurately I position myself best as a thinker. Over the past two years, for example, I’ve poured over Albert Einstein (physicist) and John Nash (mathematician); written scores of poetry, while schooling myself in the work of master painters like Caravaggio, Rembrandt, Rothko and Picasso; and learned as much as I could about Islam from Muslim friends. All far afield, in the eyes of my colleagues, from psychology.

But why not?

I have always held to the belief on life as being infinitely interesting. That there are so many intriguing things to explore, discover and grasp. Many of which, in the wide-eyed world of media and technology, are free and accessible literally at our fingertips.

So why not?

Kareem Abdul Jabbar (image credit)
Basketball legend, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, spoke recently to high school students and their parents in Chicago, and I can only underscore what he encouraged and advised. That they may very well pursue their love in sports and entertainment.  But for goodness sake, explore other subjects, too. Especially those as critical to our day and age as STEM:  science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

Because only through such exploration, which is horizontal, can they know their potential and realize it. Well said, Kareem.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment