Saturday, January 28, 2012

No Internet Tonight


(image credit)
The other night I was having difficulty opening websites. I’m home in Chicago, and in general the connection is faster and more reliable in the US, than in the Middle East, where I’ve lived (Dubai) and traveled many times. So the last thing on my mind was that the internet was down.

I tried to open Facebook several times. Nothing. Then, YouTube, ESPN, and Google News, my frequently visited sites. No access. Yes, I even clicked ‘refresh’ repeatedly, and restarted my laptop two or three times.

(image credit)
No, I didn’t yell at my ISP, as it was in the middle of the night. No, I didn’t write an angry missive to my congressman, either. I pray to God everyday, but this was no cause to do so or to question His judgment.

But there I was engaged in futile effort for about 20 minutes, before I calmed down and accepted that the internet was down.

I reviewed, and wrote in a couple of my many journals. I watched a couple of short videos I had downloaded. I remained hunched over my laptop, situated on a large footrest, while I sat on the sofa.

I realized how tethered our very psychology was to the internet. Perhaps like a drug we are addicted to.

I realized, too, that just because the internet was down, it didn't mean that we could no longer do things on our computer.

Finally, I remembered when my internet connection in Dubai was down for a longer stretch. I read my books. I called friends on the mobile. I unglued myself from my desk, and sat elsewhere in my flat for a change.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think!

Ron Villejo, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment